SHB30516 Certificate III
What does a Barber do?
Barbers provide a broad range of salon services to clients including:
- providing advice on hair care, beauty products and hairstyles
- shampooing hair and conditioning scalps
- colouring, straightening and permanently waving hair with chemical solutions
- cutting hair with scissors, clippers and razors
- shaving and trimming beards and moustaches
- cleaning work areas and sanitising instruments
- arranging appointments and collecting payments
This qualification reflects the role of barbers who use a range of well-developed sales, consultation and technical skills and knowledge to provide a broad range of barbering services to clients. They use discretion and judgement to provide client services and take responsibility for the outcomes of their own work. This qualification provides a pathway to work as a barber in any industry environment, usually a barber shop or salon.
In Australia* no occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification.
- Occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements MAY apply to this qualification in other countries.
There are no formal prerequisites required to enter the SHB30516 Certificate III in Barbering.
Prior to enrolling in this course, students must complete Victorian International Academy’s Language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment and pre-training review interview so we can assess the suitability of this course to meet your needs. For a successful enrolment students must be 18 years old.
Qualification Code and Title: SHB30516 Certificate III in Barbering
Next intake date: all year round
CRICOS Code: 094740G
26 Units must be completed
- 21 core units
- 5 elective units, consisting of:
- 3 units from the list below
- 2 units from the list below, elsewhere in the SHB Training Package, or any other current Training Package or accredited course.
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|SHBHCUT001||Design haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT002||Create one length or solid haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT003||Create graduated haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT004||Create layered haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT005||Cut hair using over-comb techniques|
|SHBHCUT007||Create combined traditional and classic men’s haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT009||Cut hair using freehand clipper techniques|
|SHBHCUT011||Design and maintain beards and moustaches|
|SHBHCUT012||Shave heads and faces|
|SHBHCUT013||Provide men’s general grooming services|
|SHBHDES001||Dry hair to shape|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas|
|SHBHIND003||Develop and expand a client base|
|SHBHTRI001||Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBHCLS002 (E)||Colour and lighten hair|
|SHBHCLS004 (E)||Neutralise unwanted colours and tones|
|SHBHCUT006 (E)||Create combined haircut structures|
|SHBHCLS003 (E)||Provide full and partial head highlighting treatments|
|SHBXCCS004 (E)||Recommend products and services|